Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Birthday Surprise

As most of you know my husband Derek's birthday just so happens to be the day after Valentine's day. It's really great because we usually take a trip to celebrate Valentine's and his birthday all in one. Last year due to my premature labor scare on Valentine's day I was on bed rest and Derek's birthday was all but ignored. This year I knew I wanted to make it up to him in a big way! I decided to coordinate with his family and get the whole crew together for a weekend in Broken Bow, Oklahoma!

I told a minor fib to Derek so he would take off work Friday and it was SO incredibly hard for me to not burst with excitement and spill the beans. I told him I had bought us a spa day and lunch at the W hotel downtown via Groupon and the offer was only good on a weekday, so I made our reservation for Friday the 15th, his birthday. I told him this would be our "Valentine's day" and may be we could do something for his birthday the next weekend. Being the "roll with the punches" kind of guy he is, Derek totally bought it.

Thursday while he was at work I got everything packed and put our luggage at the front of the garage so he wouldn't find it. We had a Valentine's dinner and opened presents with Emerson. Put the baby to bed and enjoyed some wine. He had no idea I was SO close to telling him everything! I literally was texting friends and family asking them for encouragement. I have never kept a secret from Derek in 7 years! We are best friends and share everything, it was excruciatingly hard not to give away the surprise but somehow I managed.

Friday morning came bright and early. I got Emerson dressed and loaded up the pack n play. I had told Derek Emerson would be staying with my mom for the day and would need it at her house. After everyone was ready we got in the car and I let out a big sigh. "What did you forget?" Derek questioned slightly frustrated (poor guy is always waiting on me, running back into the house for one thing or another every time we try to get somewhere on time).  "Well, I forgot to tell you that we aren't going to the spa today... we'll be celebrating your birthday at a place called Antler Cabin in Broken Bow, Oklahoma!" I hit the garage door opener to reveal our packed luggage, fishing gear and more. He was shocked and I was giddy with excitement and so thrilled to have really surprised him. 


We picked up my mom and headed to Broken Bow. After a 3 hour drive we had arrived and shortly after Derek's parents and sister joined us. We fished, made s'mores, and just surrounded our favorite guy with love.

Derek is such an incredible man and deserves the world, I was so happy we were able to do this for him and it really was such a magical weekend. I am so happy to share it with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment