Thursday, July 19, 2012

20/20

They say hindsight is 20/20 and when it comes to giving birth I can say that is the absolute truth! Looking back at my hospital experience now 3.5 months out, I think I was way over packed (see my Hospital Bag post)! For our next baby, I plan to eliminate a lot of the unnecessary items from my old packing list and add on these items I feel would have been great had I known about them back when.


First, a custom delivery gown. Some will argue that purchasing a delivery gown is frivilous, but after spending two days in an ugly hospital issued gown, feeling exposed and unpretty... I'd happily spend a few bucks on one for my second go round! You can find them online at HotMamaGowns, BabyBeMine, PUSHgowns & ModMum!


 Second, a Tweetlebug Boutique hospital hat. No, this isn't a must have... but it's a total upgrade from the hospital issued beanie. I love the idea of my little one standing out in the nursery window when family members come to catch their first peek at the baby!



Third, the baby book! Most expecting mama's get a baby book at their showers and inevitably in everyone there is a page dedicated to those precious newborn inked footprints. At the hospital they inked and stamped Emerson's footprints onto a scrub top for Derek to wear but I didn't have my book or ask them to stamp E's footprints on anything else. So when I got home I had to go out buy an ink pad and do it myself, NOT easy or recommended. Next time I'll bring my book and be sure to ask the nurses to do it after delivery.


Fourth, a "coming home" outfit. Yes, I did have outfits for Emerson while he was in the hospital and a coming home outfit, but for baby #2 I love the idea of a knit set like this one from Tea Collection. They are so sweet and classic and come in pink, navy & gray.


Lastly, something sweet! I love the idea of making cookies ahead of time for the Labor & Delivery nurses. This is a great tutorial on royal icing sugar cookies. Wouldn't it be sweet to make a dozen with baby's initials wrapped individually in cello bags for the staff? Think of the VIP treatment you'd score after that!


Well that pretty much wraps up my hospital packing do over. For a personalized hospital packing checklist go here for a custom printable! Hopefully this helps some mommy-to-be think of something she may not have considered before! Happy delivery!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! I will be bringing my baby book for the nurses to take Maci's footprints after reading your post!

    The goodies are such a cute gesture too!

    ReplyDelete