Monday, June 10, 2013

Gender Myths & Guessing Games

Today I had my 11 week appointment (I'm officially 11 weeks on Wednesday, but my appointment was moved up) where I got to hear the baby's heartbeat and schedule our genetic testing that will reveal baby 2's gender. During today's visit the heart beat was thumping away and when Emerson laughed it got louder and faster, so sweet. I didn't think to ask what the BPM was until I had already left and my mother in law reminded me, so I called the office and claimed "pregnant brain" and they filled me in. A smooth 145-150 beats per minute. Of course, this got my wheels turning. I know there are many wives tales associated with gender, heart rate being one of them and although I am perfectly aware they reveal nothing and are pure speculation I thought it would be fun to run through the most popular wives tales and see if they lean more towards boy or girl. Honestly I've got no "hunches" or gut feelings either way. I don't have a clue what we're having so I'm thinking this will be particularly fun to look back on once we know the gender for certain in a few short weeks!


It's a boy if... (I highlighted in blue what applies to me)
  • You didn't experience morning sickness in early pregnancy
  • Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute
  • You are carrying the extra weight out front
  • Your belly looks like a basketball
  • Your areolas have darkened considerably
  • You are carrying low
  • You are craving salty or sour foods
  • You are craving protein -- meats and cheese
  • Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy
  • The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy
  • Your hands are very dry
  • Your pillow faces north when you sleep
  • Dad-to-be is gaining weight, right along with you
  • Pregnancy has you looking better than ever
  • Your urine is bright yellow in color
  • Your nose is spreading
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it swings left to right
  • You are having headaches
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number

It's a girl if... (I highlighted in pink what applies to me)
  • You had morning sickness early in pregnancy
  • Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute
  • You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear
  • Your left breast is larger than your right breast
  • Your hair develops red highlights
  • You are carrying high
  • Your belly looks like a watermelon
  • You are craving sweets
  • You are craving fruit
  • You crave orange juice
  • You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy
  • You are moodier than usual during pregnancy
  • Your face breaks out more than usual
  • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread
  • Your breasts have really blossomed!
  • Your pillow faces south when you sleep
  • Your urine is a dull yellow color
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in a circle
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number
 But before you resign yourself to team girl, let's visit another gender prediction method people love to talk about. The ancient Chinese gender chart. Apparently it's super old and has a 50% chance of being correct so those are pretty good odds right? Ha!


So any wives tales I missed? Did any of them apply to you and your pregnancy or pregnancies? Any guesses about baby 2? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I think the wives tales are fun too! I totally predict PINK for you mainly because you didn't get sick like you did with Emerson! I literally have half and half when it comes to which wives tales point to me. My hubby thinks blue for me because I've been extra extra sick this go around! I've heard of the baking soda gender test and the hairline test. Hairline test is to check the back hairline of your first born. If it is straight across then it's the same sex and if it's at a point then it's the opposite sex. So silly, but so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy :) Just because I was opposite of most of the girl things above and I had a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete