Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Home For The Holidays

Let's face it, I grew up at the airport. My mother has worked for the same airline for 30 years and growing up we traveled at any given opportunity. We have countless memories of traveling abroad and stateside over the years, but honestly some of the funniest things have happened to us at the airports we have arrived in/departed from amidst our travels. Flying for free was an incredible blessing for our family, but there is an obvious downside... standby. That's right, when you're an airline employee flying on a non-revenue (free) ticket it's likely that you're flying standby. I probably sound like a complete masochist, but I am grateful for my many years of flying in this fashion because now when I fly confirmed (on a ticket I purchased) I feel as though I have it a lot more "together" than other travelers around me. So as you prepare to head "home for the holidays" I'd like to share a few tips that I have found over the years to be absolutely helpful at the airport so you too can fly like a pro (with children or without) this Christmas!

My first tip is to avoid checking luggage at all costs. Stream line your packing list by planning your outfits ahead of time and coordinating mix & match ensembles. I utilize this guide for outfit planning.



Once you have pinned down what items you will be packing for yourself lay everything out. Next, you will pack for the kiddos. I recommend sharing a bag with your little one simply to make life easier for yourself. Use the same "outfit planning" technique for your child as you did for yourself with the addition of putting your child's complete outfits into gallon sized zip locks (make sure you let all of the air out so you don't consume too much valuable "real estate"). The benefits of doing this: you won't have to dig for small items like baby socks or hair bows, your husband will have no reason not to dress your child properly (may be that's just mine... totally colorblind) and if your child's clothing gets soiled (it will) you can put them back into the bags wet after a quick sink wash and not have to risk getting everything else wet.


Once you have gathered up and laid out everything you will be packing (including your toiletry bag with regulation sized hair/beauty/bath products) it's time to pack it all in! This is my favorite guide for packing your carry on. I recommend putting your little one's outfit "packs" on top since they will be thin, flat and light.


Now that your rolling carry on suitcase is packed to the brim, it's time to tackle your tote! All ticketed passengers are allowed one purse/backpack/laptop bag in addition to your carry on luggage so utilize this to the best of your ability. My carry on tote is my diaper bag/purse so in addition to baby essentials and makeup bag these are the items I bring along...


Headphones and cell phone chargers in a hard glasses case. No more digging in your bag for loose cords. I also keep my husbands headphones so everything is in one place. We share a phone charger to save room.


Passports and boarding passes...I am the designated id/ticket holder! Because I'll be holding the baby, my husband will be in line behind me through check in, security and boarding. We do this because if anything gets dropped (baby socks/shoes are notorious for popping off and pacifiers always seem to go flying at the most inconvenient moments) there is always someone two steps behind us to pick them up or lend a helping hand. No matter where we're flying I always carry both of our passports in a leather cover. Tucked into the cover is the individual's drivers license and boarding pass, that way as we approach security of the ticket counter, I can simply pass back the entire thing to my husband and he has everything he needs. As soon as we walk through he passes his back to me and I put them away immediately. This tried and true method has never failed us and now that we have a little one, I keep a copy of baby's birth certificate tucked into my passport cover too. Just in case!


The next items in my carry on tote may seem a little odd, but I have spent the night in enough airports to know. Always pack at least one pair of underwear and your toothbrush and travel paste in your tote. If you do end up overnighting it somewhere unexpected and they gate checked your rolling suitcase, you will be SO thankful you did! I love Hanky Panky panties because they are packaged very small and are so comfy - perfect for traveling! In addition, if your one of those who don't go anywhere without wearing heels (which I don't recommend for traveling), you might want to consider tossing in a pair of foldable flats. I adore these from C. Wonder!  



My husband always brings along a messenger bag with all of our electronics/entertainment needs. Having everyone's laptop and tablet in one bag allows him to get them all through security in one fail swoop (similar to why I carry both of our passports). Derek is also in charge of extra baby food (see TSA's site for baby food regulations) in addition to his toothbrush and a pair of underwear (can you tell we have spent a night or two in an airport!? Ha!). Now how you pack is obviously an important factor in having a positive travel experience, but another issue is dress. Guys are easy, so I won't got into detail there, so ladies this is all for you! Here are a few examples of flying friendly outfits that are bound to keep you cozy while your on the go.


From the waist up, this is the perfect travel look. A low maintenance bun keeps your hair up and out of the way, simple pearl studs and watch have you looking put together yet not over accessorized and the scarf is a versatile piece I recommend you never travel without because it has so many uses!


Everything about this outfit excluding the clutch is perfect for traveling. The pull on boots save time in security and the leggings are comfortable for long plane rides. Again, the essential scarf makes an appearance and keeps you warm and fashionable.


Here is another great scarf look with ballet flats instead of boots.


I love Gwyneth's outfit, too. Perfect for the girls who *must* wear heels everywhere. Again, easy on and easy off boots... but with that heel you'll be glad you packed those foldable flats!



If scarfs aren't your thing, I recommend utilizing a long vest or sweater to layer with. The key is having something you can easily remove through security, that keeps you warm for your flight while not being too bulky in your bag. I also love the wow factor the fur vest or printed cardigan gives these otherwise basic looks.

Well that's all for now! I hope your travels are safe and your holidays merry & bright! Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment