Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of MDO 2013

Today I was having some major mommy butterflies as we prepared for our first day of MDO. I woke up incredibly early (7am is early for me!), packed Emerson's lunch, changing supplies and nap mat and then took a quiet moment to call Derek and just pray over our son. It was bittersweet and I was already a sobbing mess, I could tell Derek was concerned when he asked me to call him back after I dropped Emerson off, ha! Poor guy, the hormones of a pregnant wife and the heightened emotions of the first day of pre-school must have been a real joy for him beginning his work day!

 
All packed and ready!
 
 
I got Emerson dressed and fed and tried to keep things light, positive and happy. He was so excited which was so comforting. His smile is contagious so I couldn't help but to be happy for his special day ahead.
 
 
When I told him it was time to leave for school he literally ran to the door squealing. He was thrilled with the whole thing!
 
 
We arrived a bit early as I wanted to include plenty of buffer time should we have a melt down. What I didn't know is that the only one who would cry at drop off was me! Emerson waited at the door to his classroom's hallway and when they began letting us back towards his class he ran into the room laughing and grabbed the first truck he saw and began to play. His teacher gently took his things from me and smiled "He's going to have a great day, but I will text you if anything changes I promise." not sure if she could see the tears welling up in my eyes, I quickly drew my sunglasses from my purse and put them on as I thanked her and proceeded to the parking lot to bawl my eyes out. I called Derek sobbing "He didn't even hug me goodbye! He was happy! He didn't even cry! It happened so fast!" by now Derek is used to my roller coaster pregnancy emotions and tried his best to reason with me. Saying that it would have been harder had Emerson been upset and that this was a blessing. That Emerson was going to have a great day and that I was good mom and doing the right thing. Derek always knows what to say to ease my heart and as soon as I could muster, I put the keys in the ignition and left the parking lot of the school for the nearest Starbucks. After indulging in a grande mocha with whip cream I decided I wasn't ready to return home to an empty house and thought a little retail couldn't hurt so I ventured out to HomeGoods and Hobby Lobby for some fall decor and crafting supplies and before I knew it, it was time to go get my baby. Again, I arrived a little early just in case but he was just as happy and smiley as I left him. Both of his teachers remarked on how sweet he was and very social in addition to being a good eater. I was so thrilled to see him I think I could have squeezed him in two!

 
Thank to all of those who offered encouragement and prayer for Emerson on his first day, as it truly meant so much. I know for me, this transition will become easier with time, love and patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment